If someone offered, I would travel 2.5 hours one way for apple cider donuts from Indian Ladder Farms, a place near where I went to high school. I truly wish I were kidding. Warm donut with cinnamon sugar cannot be beat and I am NOT a donut person. I did not even like Voodoo Donuts (sorry!). There are only two donuts I have ever truly likes: warm apple cider donuts and Allie’s Donuts (Rhode Island local specialty).
My friend sent me an apple cider cake recipe that I made minimal healthy adjustments to because I just could not help myself but also knew that I HAD to have. In my mind, healthy adjustments just means more to eat, because it is healthy, right?
Apple Cider Donut Mini Muffins
1 large apple or 2 small, peeled, cored, and chopped to large blueberry size pieces
2.5 c apple cider
1/2 c almond milk, at room temperature
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour (you can use all all-purpose flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, freshly ground is ideal
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 c of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c organic cane sugar
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp granulated organic sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Dice apple (s) so that you have 2 c total. Add to the 2.5 c of apple cider in a pot and reduce for 40-45 minutes. Gentle boil for 30 minutes at low medium heat then last 10-15 minutes at medium high heat till it is the consistency of apple sauce. Puree till smooth. Mix 1 c of mixture with 1/2 c almond milk.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: 2.5 c flour (1 c wheat and 1.5 c AP flour), 1.5 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cloves, and 1.5 tsp cinnamon.
- In new bowl or stand mixer, cream 1/2 c of butter, 1/2 c sugar, and 1/2 c packed brown sugar.
- Add 3 eggs one at a time with mixer at low speed. Next add 1/4 c vegetable oil and 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add 1/2 of dry mixture at low speed, then 1/2 milk apple mixture, then rest of the dry mixture and lastly the milk apple mixture.
- Oil mini muffin tin or use paper liners.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes.
- While baking, mix together the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Brush with melted butter and dip in cinnamon sugar mixture