When I spend time with children, as I have during the holidays, I start to remember and reminisce about what it was like. One of the most beautiful things that I learned from this holiday season is being fearless. They have no idea what it means to be “embarrassed.” That is a beautiful thing.
A good friend of mine gave me the advice of never being afraid of hearing no. I live in a society where not only do I feel like I hate to tell people no, but when someone tells me no, it’s cringe-worthy. You would never peg me as a people pleaser, but I do care. Despite my vivid memory of my high school freshman telling myself, guess what, you should probably just be who you are because you are too old to change anyways. At that time the idea of “life” and “youth” ended promptly at 30 which I am rapidly approaching. So my resolution this year is to be okay with “no” and stop being afraid, because heck, life is over in less than a month anyways. (AKA turning 30 in January) Which leads me to this recipe of chicken fingers. Here’s the finger to fear, self-doubt and people pleasing.
This recipe is a play on two chicken finger recipes that I saw almost simultaneously from Fifty Shades of Chicken and BalancewithB’s site
Turmeric Asian Chicken Fingers
3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 knuckle turmeric root approx 2.5 inches long or 1.5 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp white pepper
1/3 c salt- I used Himalayan pink sea salt
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 tbsp red curry paste
2 egg beaten
2 c whole wheat panko
1 tbsp turmeric powder
- Make brine: boil 4 c water and add 1/3 c salt, 2.5 inches turmeric root grated OR 1.5 tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp curry powder, and 1 tsp white pepper. Let it cool to room temperature
- Slice the chicken breasts to smaller strips/fingers if you will.
- Place the chicken breasts into the brine and leave in the fridge overnight
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix 2 beaten egg, 1/2 c coconut milk, 1/2 tbsp red curry paste, and 1 tbsp turmeric powder.
- Dry off chicken strips, put in wet mixture then into panko breading. Place on baking sheet. When done, bake for 10 minutes, flip than wait another 10-15 minutes.
- Give someone the finger(s)