When I used my husband as a guinea pig for this popsicle, his first reaction was, “This is the best popsicle you’ve ever made.” There is a simple explanation for that. Summer is coming and while on one hand one should be preparing for their summer body, lets just say that is not going to happen for me this year. After becoming heavier than I ever have been in my life not secondary to my butter addiction but through my already oh so loved
parasite I mean baby it was clear that I should just throw in the towel.
While I would have loved to throw caution to the wind and EAT EVERYTHING, there was this lingering fear of mine… gestational diabetes. This is a serious condition and requires strict management, part of which is fingerstick glucose testing. There are a myriad of really serious potential consequences if gestational diabetes is not properly managed and being an asian female I am inherently at increased risk. Also, there was this one time in med school where I tried to do a fingerstick glucose on myself and started shaking and could not do it. Bear in mind that I wanted to be a surgeon for a while, blood and guts do not bother me. So seriously, pray for me, I get tested next week.
3/4 c heavy cream
1/4 c water
1 egg yolk
1/8 c sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
3 bananas- very ripe but not brown
1/4 c almond milk
10 speculoo cookies smashed
dulce de leche
- In small sauce pan mix 3/4 c heavy cream, 1/4 c water, and 1/8 c sugar.
- Cook till boil and keep on heat for 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract.
- Add approximately 1/4 c of the mixture to the whisked egg yolk, mix well. Add about around 1/4 c and mix well. Add remaining.
- Divide this among 8 popsicle molds. Add in 2 of the smashed speculoo cookies into the 8 popsicle molds. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- In a blender/ ninja mixer blend 3 very ripe bananas and 1/4 c almond milk until smooth. Fill each popsicle mold to the top.
- Divide the remaining smashed speculoo cookie crumbs on top.
- Stick in the sticks and freeze at least overnight.
- Drizzle with dulce de leche before serving. You can make this yourself or buy it in stores.
- Just soak in the decadence and get yourself a new pair of sweatpants… or steal your husbands.